Community High is a school of choice: if you feel that you’re a match, you can apply to Community during your last year of middle school. If a more structured High School career is what you’re looking for, your home school (Huron or Pioneer) is your best choice.
We can barely cram 450 kids into this old elementary school, so admission is regulated. In the good old days, prospective students had to camp out in the cold to get a first-come, first-served spot. Now we’ve got a lottery. It provides a totally random selection of students. We promise.
The admission process for the class of 2010 hasn’t started yet. Subscribe to the announcements list (on the right) and we’ll update you when there’s new information.
The random selection for the class of 2009 was Wednesday, March 9th. Results were posted on the front doors and are available at the official school website. The first 120 applicants were accepted.
Incoming students were able to shadow current students between March 15th – 18th, 21 – 23, April 18th – 21st, and April 22nd and 26th. The final commitment deadline was Thursday, April 28 at 4:00PM.
- The process begins in January.
- You have to apply to be considered.
- There are 108 9th grade slots.
- Typically, there are about 300 9th grade applicants.
- Students who do not make the lottery are put on the waiting list. When there are available slots, staff members call students on the waiting list beginning with the lowest numbers.
- Application period: Applicants must complete the following three steps during the application period:
- Student attends an information meeting at CHS.
- Parent or guardian attends an information meeting at CHS.
- Completed application (Enrollment Agreement and Notice of Entry) and turned into Room 215, Community High School.
- One hundred eight students who have completed the steps above will be admitted to the 9th grade class through random selection. The remaining applicants will form the waiting list.
- The random selection drawing will be overseen by the Community High School PTSO. Results of the random selection and official waiting list will be posted by student number (not student name) on the outside doors of Community High School. Results of the random selection will be faxed to middle and private schools.
- Students accepted by random selection will receive a letter from CHS explaining the next steps.
Applications are available at Community or your middle school’s house office.
For more information about the application process, including the latest forms, visit the official school site.